How do I create a student import file?
Importing a student roster is one of the ways to add students to the system. This feature allows you to bulk load students into the system and is always available to administrator accounts. It can be turned off for instructors so that they cannot upload or add students to the system. Administrators may choose to remove the feature for instructors to ensure that your school or parish’s roster is consistent and student accounts are not duplicated.
If you need to add a student to the system, and the add and import functionality has been turned off for instructors, contact your administrator.
- Log in to Christ In Us using your instructor or administrator account. The functionality described below may have been turned off for instructors by your administrator.
- Once logged in, you can access the Menu icon to view all the functionalities. This icon is available at the top left-hand corner of your screen.
- Go to Settings and then, select Manage Students.
- In the Manage Students screen, click Import Roster for adding a list of students.
Click the Download Student Import Template link and save the file in your computer. Remember where you save the file as you will need to access it again. The file will be named CiuStudentImportTemplate.csv unless you change the name when saving the file in your computer.
- Open Microsoft Excel or a similar spreadsheet application. Click File > Open from the menu within Microsoft Excel.
- Select CiuStudentImportTemplate.csv from where you saved it on your computer. If you saved the file using a different name, then open the file you saved in Step 5.
One you have opened your template file, your screen should look similar to the one below: You can expand the widths of the columns in the spreadsheet. When you do you will see (Required) and (Optional) indicators after the column names indicating which columns are required and which are optional. See the Import File Column Information below for a list of fields, descriptions, and acceptable values.
You should delete the two sample student rows provided when you are done so that these students are not created in your account.
- You will need to add a row for each student account you need to create in Christ In Us.
- After adding a row for each student, save your student import file by clicking File > Save As.
You will want to change the filename so you do not overwrite the template file that you have downloaded. When saving, make sure the file format is CSV (Comma Separated Values).
It is critical that you select the correct file format, Comma Separated Values (.csv) when saving your file. Failure to do so will generate a file that will not be able to be processed by Christ In Us.
- You now have a student import file that is ready to be uploaded to Christ In Us.
Import File Column Information
- Column A - Action (A/U) (Required): This column tells the system what it should attempt to do with the row of data in the file. The value "A" should be used when trying to add a student record to the system. One would set this value for the first time the student roster is being uploaded into Christ In Us. The value "U" should be used when you want to update an existing student record in the system.
- Column B - Student ID: You can provide the student's identification number in this field.
- Column C - Username (Required): You must supply a username for each student in your import file. Your usernames are unique to your organization, so you will not encounter the issue that the username has been used by someone else and you cannot use it. Typically, the username is the student's first initial followed by their last name. You can use whatever convention you desire though it is recommended to be consistent convention across usernames as it makes it easier for instructor's to help students should they encounter a problem logging into the system. Some customers end up using the student identification in the username column as well. The username provided in this column will be what the student uses to log in to the system.
- Column D - Password (Required): You must supply a password for each student in your import file. It is recommended you follow good practices in creating passwords and not use common passwords. Students have the ability to change the password on their account.
- Column E - First Name (Required): You must supply a value in this field for each of your students. It could also be a first initial, but you want something that will easily help you identify the students in the system.
- Column F - Middle Name (Optional): You can provide the student's middle name or initial in this field.
- Column G - Last Name (Required): You must supply a value in this field for each of your students. This field does not have to contain a student's last name, but you must provide a value. You want something that will easily help you identify the students in the system.
- Column H - Grade (Required): This column allows you to associate a grade level with your students. With this information provided, you will be able to use grade level as a filter on certain screens within Christ In Us. This makes it easier to find a subset of students within the system. The acceptable values for grade are: K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. One of these values should be entered in this column.
- Column I - Status Active/Inactive (Optional): It is an optional field, though if not provided the system will use the value "Active". This means that the student account will be activated or enabled within the system. The value "Inactive" can be used to inactivate or disable an account. When an account is disabled the user will no longer be able to log in to the system.
- Column J - School PID (Optional - District Only): You do not need to provide a value in this field.
- You must not change the order of the fields provided in the template.
- You must use the acceptable values for columns where a list of acceptable values is provided.
- You must provide the required columns for each student included in the import file.